Wednesday, June 23, 2010

"I wonder"...REALLY!

I wonder who I'll blame if something goes wrong....

REALLY! Did I say that?!

Know what I wonder now? Why did I even leave it open for the possibility that something could go wrong at my precious little girl's 3rd birthday party!

Well, other than being super busy with other things the week before the party, things were going pretty good. I had gotten almost everything done that I planned to do. Just a little last minute decorating on Friday night and food prep on Saturday morning and we would be ready to party.

Enter the problem. Addie woke up sick Friday morning. She threw up a couple times, but by late afternoon was feeling fine. It put me a little behind on accomplishing stuff throughout the day, but I managed to get everything finished up before it was too terribly late that night. All day and night I prayed that she wouldn't be sick on her birthday. I was so scared that she wouldn't be able to have the party. She had been so excited about it for so long. She just had to feel better. When I finally got into bed Friday night, I had a terrible headache. I didn't sleep very well because I just couldn't get comfortable.

Mr. Wonderful had to work Saturday morning and left early. I tossed and turned after he left and never did get back to sleep. My mother, Mrs. Incredible, came over early just like she promised and filled balloons with helium until her fingers were numb. She insisted that I go back to bed for a while and try to get some rest. (I told you she was Mrs. Incredible!) I really didn't want to, but I was so exhausted that I gave in and went to lay down. Mr. Wonderful ended up getting home early and was able to check off most of his last minute stuff. 

Most of what happened next was a bit of a blur. My head was throbbing so terribly by this time that I really couldn't think straight. One of Addie's friends came over around lunch time to play because he wasn't going to make it to the party. I still had some food to prepare, but after the girls went down for their nap, so did I. I set my alarm for 4:15. Party time was at 5. I knew it didn't give me much time, but by then I had been throwing up, so I didn't really care. After nap, I tried to get up and finish the food, but couldn't even sit up straight. Back to bed I went. My parents, the Incredibles, came over early (again) to help. 

My middle sister, Awesome, was the first party guest to arrive. (I think she may have even caught a glimpse of me slumping down the hall back to bed.) When she realized that I wouldn't be making it to the party, she jumped right in and helped welcome guests. My oldest sister, Amazing, came in and flashed pictures of everything. I promise you, when these pictures are developed I will have one of those flip books to watch it all happen play by play. 

I was so miserable that I couldn't even sleep. I lay there through most of the party listening to my family do everything they could do to make it the best party ever. I heard laughter, singing, cheer, and they were the most wonderful sounds in the world. When the party was over and the guests were gone, I pulled myself out of the bed and down the hall. My heart was absolutely overflowing at what I found.

The Incredibles had stayed and helped put up the food. Awesome had not only gone to the store to get some more medicine for me but stuck around to help clean up all the gifts and food. Amazing was washing dishes and sweeping floors. Mr. Wonderful was doing his best to figure out where in the world to put all my serving platters, had already loaded up the borrowed table and chairs on his truck, helped clean the kitchen, and was getting the girls ready for bed. My in-laws, the There-when-you-need-'ems, were waiting to help return the table and chairs and were helping get the girls ready for bed. I also know that other party guests did many things to help out, and for that I am so grateful.

They may be loud and sometimes even a little crazy, but I have been blessed with the greatest family possible. They could have easily told me to forget all my elaborate plans, especially since I would have never know the difference, and just done the party like they wanted to. But they didn't. I was awake and listening and never once heard a single complaint about the fact that I insist on doing things the difficult way. Everyone just pitched in and did whatever was needed. Several times they were even brave enough to stick their head in the bedroom door and ask for specific directions on how I wanted them to do things. They all knew it was a virus and that I would feel better the next day. They could have just stuck the leftovers in the fridge and gone home. But they didn't. They all went completely out of their way, in their own special way, to make my life easier. I am so humbled. I pray that each of them and their families will be blessed beyond imagination for being so kind and generous to me. 

I know, I am crazy for leaving it open for the possibility of something going wrong on Addie's birthday. But, praise God for my family, absolutely nothing went wrong.

Addie's 3rd birthday party was everything she wanted it to be.
She had a blast. She got way too many gifts. She got to be around all the people she loves. She wasn't sick...And there were balloons everywhere!


1 comment:

  1. Oh H! I am sorry you were so sick! If you wanted; you could throw her a mini party just you and the girls later on when you got yourself back to normal (if you wanted to call it normal)!

    Those viruses are horrible!

    I am glad she had such a blast!

    ReplyDelete