Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Isn't looking too good

If you know us or read this blog regularly, then you probably already know that Mr. Wonderful and I are bit obsessed with renovating and updating our house. I told you before that we live in a match box...that means that we must make the most of every bit of space we actually do have! Currently, our matchbox is covered in sheet rock dust and everything is out of place. And, unfortunately, it seems that it may take a while before things are better. Let me explain.

After a great church service/children's church service on Sunday, we had an even better lunch with the family, and followed that with a really nice nap :) We got up and Mr. Wonderful mentioned cutting the grass. Ugh. I couldn't even think about it. It's just too hot. Instead, I started unloading the laundry room. Why? I just wanted to see if we had enough space to move the washer and dryer to the other side of the room. I know it doesn't really make sense in theory, but whatever. I did it anyway because Mr. Wonderful didn't tell me not to. After dragging every single thing out of the laundry room, not only was our dining room full of junk...but we discovered that moving the washer and dryer just wasn't an option...for now. Mr. Wonderful was concerned that I may be upset that my laundry room makeover wouldn't be happening. Imagine his delight when I informed him that a kitchen makeover was just the thing to make me feel better! 

I wish so much that I had pictures to show you. I'll try to get some together to show you a before and after...that is if we ever get finished!! Entering our house from the driveway/side door, there used to be a narrow hallway leading to the kitchen. On the right side of this hallway was my laundry room and on the left side was a wall separating you from the dining room. 
My dad, Mr. Incredible, tried to talk me out of this hallway when we were building the house by insisting that it was wasted space, but I insisted that I did not want my laundry room opening up to my dining room. It only took Addie's first birthday party to convince me that my dad was right...the hallway was wasted space. 
Although the dining room has french doors leading outside and a large opening to the family room, it felt really tight in there. When you went in there to sit, it was almost as if you were trapped. Hmmmmm....that three feet in the hallway sure would help do away with that "trapped" feeling. 
About two years ago, I sweet talked Mr. Wonderful and Mr. Incredible into taking down that wall for me. Yes, my laundry room opens to the dining room now, but at least we can actually use the dining room! Hooray!! Plus, I have plans to swap out the closet style laundry room doors for some interior french doors. I think that will help it look a bit more formal.
The reason I had to "sweet talk" my guys into doing the work for me is that the hallway wall was load bearing, all of the light fixtures had to be moved (can lights and the chandelier), and the tile had to be patched (because we weren't..and still aren't... ready to completely replace the flooring), and so on, and so on.
At the time of this particular renovation, I thought I wanted to keep the doorway (that used to be at the end of that narrow hallway) leading to the kitchen. I thought it would be easier to bring food into the dining room and make clean-up easier, also. And it is. I still like it there, but my kitchen "things" seem to have outgrown my kitchen cabinets. Therefore, the doorway must be closed so that more kitchen cabinets can be installed in the kitchen. Whew! I knew that was a super long description, and I'm sure I probably lost you along the way, but maybe I can post a few pictures later to clear things up.

Enter the kitchen renovation that would take my mind off the laundry room renovation fail!!
As I loaded all of the junk back into the laundry room, Mr. Wonderful, with the help of Addie and Avie, started the demo of the doorway. Monday evening, he framed up the wall and pulled the wires for a new plug.
Tuesday, he hung the sheet rock. I decided that although I had never mudded (is that even a word?) sheet rock before, I would try it out. As I started, Mr. Wonderful decided that as long as we were making a mess of the house and covering everything in sheet rock dust, we should go ahead and demo the partial wall in kitchen. We had planned on taking out part of that kitchen wall and adding a peninsula that would not only provide extra cabinets, but also seating on the family room side. But we just didn't plan on doing it now
So, just as our house was starting to look like a house again instead of a construction zone...more demo!! The house is a wreck right now, complete with white powder footprints down the hallway. Know what else? Mr. Wonderful called to inform me that he has to work late tonight and probably several nights. Yuck. 

As he was working the other night, he asked me how long he had before I became super ill about the house being messed up (because we all know it's gonna happen). I gave him a week. Hmmm. Isn't looking too good for you, is it, Honey?! Just kidding! I love you and our out of control remodeling!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment