Friday, July 15, 2011

It's about time! Part 2

The previous post, "It's about time!" were the pictures promised from Addie's 4th birthday party.
I didn't even try to write comments on that post because computers and I don't play well together....the last time I added pics I almost tossed the computer out the window because it kept deleting them!
I know it is annoying to read about the pictures and not be able to look at them, but trust me, doing it this way saved me soooo much sanity! The first pic is of me and Addie. Actually getting to take a picture with the girls is such a rare thing, so I love this one. This was taken at the end of the party when my sweet 4 year old was very tired...I'm pretty sure she is leaning on me so she won't fall over!

The second pic is of my sweet birthday girl opening her presents. This is one of my favorite times of the party. All of the kids crowd around and help open everything and get excited together and talk about how much they like everything. I love having them all piled up in my lap! There is nothing better!!
I think it is so sad to go to a party and have the parents of the "birthday child" keep the other children away and refuse to let them be a part of this time. I have witnessed what I think is probably the worst of the worst and have even seen a parent pushing other kids telling them they are "in the way." So, so sad. If you don't want anyone else to touch your child's things, then you should wait until everyone is gone to open gifts. Also, if you have no intention of making your child share their toys, then please don't invite my children over to play! I took my girls over to play with someone once before and overheard the parent telling my Addie that this was their child's room and so their child got to decide what to do. I was appalled. I will never, ever take my girls there again. When my girls have friends over, their friends are always right, always get to decide what to do, and always have a blast!! They also always leave crying because they are having so much fun. My girls love it, too, though. I just think it is so important to teach children early to put others first. Jesus always put others needs before His, so I do my very best to do the same (and to teach my children to, also) in every way possible.

The third picture is of Addie and Avie in one of the kiddie swimming pools we had set up. They are playing with the sponge balls Mr. Wonderful and I made the night before. I had bought water balloons for the party, but then found a tutorial online (sorry, can't remember where or I'd give credit!) where you cut up cleaning sponges and tie them together to make splash sponge balls. They were a huge hit at the party! Dip them in the pool and let them soak up some water, and then toss them at someone and watch them get drenched!! So much fun!! And so much better than picking up a zillion water balloon pieces :)

The fourth picture is of Addie and Avie at one of the kids tables getting into the stash of water toys. I had buckets set out full of sponge balls and water guns for everyone to play with. 

The fifth picture is of the food table. You can't see them, but I made watermelon sugar cookies. Yup! Homemade sugar cookies, Martha Stewart's awesome recipe, homemade icing, complete with chocolate chips as the seeds! I thought they turned out adorable and super yummy :) My nephew even helped me make some of them! I try to keep the food all kid-friendly at our parties, so we had chips & dip, pigs in a blanket, cheese puffs, goldfish, grapes & strawberries, brownie bites, lots of watermelon wedges, ice cream and cupcakes, cupcakes, cupcakes!

The sixth picture is of the birthday cake. I ordered it from Publix and I think they did a great job. I didn't realize when I first placed the order, that it was for an 8 inch round cake. Hmmm, doesn't even come close to feeding everyone. So I put in a call to Mrs. Incredible and she came through with cupcakes at the last minute!

The next picture is of Avie going down the massive water slide we rented for the party. She stayed on that thing the whole time. I think everyone who came loved it. My 13 & 14 year old nephews even brought a friend to the party....all three of them had so much fun on that slide! I can't believe that I was actually worried about the older ones getting bored! Even though none of the adults got on it, we had the greatest time watching and laughing at all the kids who played on it. Most of us stood at the bottom of the slide and watched the whole time. We will definitely rent it again!

The last picture is of Addie again. I love that she has a "KoolAid face" in this one. My mother, Mrs. Incredible gave her butterfly earrings and a pink pearl bracelet for her birthday. My sister gave her pearl earrings and a birthstone ring. Addie was so excited to have jewelry, so I had to include this pic of her holding the box.

I can't believe my baby is four years old. It seems that time has flown by. She amazes me every single day with her kind heart. She is so sensitive and sweet. She can also be a handful. When she makes up her mind about something, she will throw the biggest fit over it. But then after the fit is over, I can look at her and see how much she regrets it. She feels terrible when she acts out. She really just wants to please everyone. She is the greatest big sister to Avie. I love seeing them interact. They play so well together. I love to listen to them talk to each other. Their conversations are the greatest.
When I first found out that I was expecting Avie, Addie was only seven months old. Everyone kept saying how sad it was that Addie wouldn't get to "have her time" and that she wouldn't get to be the baby anymore. I never really felt that way because I was excited that they would be close. I loved having sisters. I loved always having someone to play with and talk to and hang out with. I know that I was the youngest and that my two older sisters probably didn't feel that way...I'm sure they thought I was pretty annoying. But I don't think Addie feels that way. She may one day when they are older, but for now I truly believe that she loves having a little sister. She never seems to mind including Avie and always wants to help her do things. I pray that they always stay close and enjoy spending time together like this.

Happy birthday to the greatest big sister in the world. 
I love you, Addie!   





No comments:

Post a Comment