Tuesday, May 3, 2011

a perfect fit

I feel the need to tell you that I absolutely LOVE my job!!!!!! Dont' get me wrong, I LOVED my job staying home with my girls, too. I'm actually pretty sure that one prepared me for the other.

It isn't really about which one was better. I guess it is just that the timing for each was perfect. I suppose I am just amazed by God's amazing plan and His divine intervention. When I first started planning to open the shop, I wasn't even sure that I was ready for it. I knew it was time for me to leave home and go to work...I just didn't feel great about leaving my girls. I was sure that they would be fine...it was me who was the problem! I didn't think I would make it without them there with me every day!!

It has turned out to be a perfect fit, though. I love being here and having some quiet time to work and keep busy. I love getting to come home to the girls and not take one second of my time with them for granted. I love having the opportunity to talk with people when they come in the shop. I love getting to know them and hearing their stories. I especially love it when they bring their little ones with them. LizzieLu & BabySue immediately transforms from "children's boutique" to "children's playroom" when a child comes through the door.

I remember when Addie was a toddler and I was expecting Avie. It was so difficult to go shopping because not many children's boutiques are "stroller friendly." There just isn't an easy way to get inside with them, plus once you get inside with them there isn't room to push them between the clothing racks. That meant that I had to carry Addie, and her oversized diaper bag, and my purse, and keys, all with my AvieLu baby bump. I started dropping my wallet down into Addie's diaper bag, along with my keys and cell phone...thinking it would make things easier. And it did...until time to pay and I had to dig for my wallet while holding her. Of course, she took advantage of this opportunity and would let go of me and try to slide down my hip and get to the floor, pulling off my elastic band maternity pants, then she would make a mad dash for the most breakable -and expensive- thing in the store while I looked like an idiot trying to chase her down. When I finally gathered her up and got the bill paid, I would just drop my debit card back into the diaper bag to get out of there, because she would be screaming and fighting to get back down once she had tasted the freedom of running.
It only happened twice before I finally learned my lesson....on two separate occasions I went to the grocery store after leaving a boutique only to get to the check-out and realize that I brought my purse inside the store-not the diaper bag. And where was the diaper bag? In the car. Why? Because it took up too much space in the shopping cart. Why is this such a problem? Because although I had thought to grab my wallet out of the diaper bag, my debit card was still in there!!! "Live and learn" is a phrase used often. You would think that I lived and learned to put my debit card back in my wallet, but nope. Not me. What did I learn? Well, I learned that a "children's shop" that isn't "child friendly" just doesn't make sense!!! Therefore, if any child of any age walks into LizzieLu & BabySue, we encourage the parent to let them get down and play. Anyone willing to hand over an infant? We will dab on some hand sanitizer and gladly accept them also!

 My mom and I have had the pleasure of entertaining so many children while their mothers, grandmothers and even a few fathers shopped. I am aware that not all parents/guardians appreciate this. Some people don't want you to even look at their children much less talk to them, and while I don't understand this, I totally respect it. I have absolutely no question about what my spiritual gift is...loving others. Loving them where they are, how they are. Loving them and their children. Not just loving them "in Christian love" and moving on. I love them up close and personal. Loving them and their situation. I love them and can't help but get involved. If I see someone struggle, even with something simple, I feel a strong need to help them, whether they want me to or not!
Not long ago Mr. Wonderful and I were in a book store shopping. There was a woman in line ahead of us at the checkout with three children. She had several items and the cashier was being a bit slow. One of the children was a toddler in a stroller who was beginning to fuss and try to climb out. The cashier kept asking the woman questions, and the woman couldn't hear her because she was trying to poke the toddler back in the stroller and he was fussing and crying. Without thinking, I just stepped up to the side of the stroller and said hello to the handsome little guy. He looked at me like I was nuts and then looked at his mom to see what her reaction to me would be. I just squatted next to him and talked to him about the toy tied to his stroller, his shoes, etc. Once I had his attention, he sat quietly and smiled at me, probably still thinking I was nuts. His mom was able to answer the questions and get out the door without a full meltdown from him. I'm not really sure what she thought about it, or if she even noticed, but if it had been me and someone had bothered to entertain my child instead of talking bad about me and giving me dirty looks, I would have thanked God for putting them in my path and probably kissed them on my way out of the store!! Please read this carefully: I didn't expect or even want her to say thank you to me. I just wanted to help. I just did what I would have wanted someone to do for me. I just loved her and wanted to make those few minutes easier on her. If that makes me weird, then so be it :o)

I am loving my life and the changes that have taken place over the past several months! Love and prayers for you all!

     



No comments:

Post a Comment