Friday, May 27, 2011

Gals My Age

Okay, so it's been a while since my last post which makes this very late, but I want to thank everyone for the sweet comments about my MaMa and especially for the prayers. It was a very difficult time for my family, but we pulled together and made it through. We spent several days at the Incredibles' house. We ate lots of food prepared by great friends, went through old pictures, shared memories, watched the kids run through the house, and laughed a lot. It was a special time for us all. I know that everyone always says this, but that is exactly what MaMa would have wanted. She always wanted her sons and the grandchildren to stick together. She used to tell me all the time to take good care of my sisters. I'm sure she probably said the same thing to them. She thought family was so important and so special and I do, too. 

My mom and I chose to close the shop for the days surrounding that weekend. When we returned on Tuesday to open, we stayed as busy as possible. It was nice to have a distraction. The following weekend was Addie's dance recital. I had been anxious about the recital for months. It made my stomach turn to think about it. No, I'm not completely crazy.....I was nervous about it because I knew Addie was nervous. As soon as Mrs. Heather started talking about dancing on "the big stage" Addie stopped wanting to go to the dance class she loved. She wouldn't dance at home and was adamant that she would NOT dance for everyone to watch. Mrs. Heather was so great at trying to prepare her for it and was even more patient than I could have hoped. She was the best. Addie had two dances. One song was "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" and the other was "He's got the whole world in His hands." At rehearsal, Addie refused to dance to "Twinkle." She stood on the stage with her finger in her mouth and refused to move. As soon as she was off stage I went to the back to talk to her.
First, let me explain. It wouldn't bother me one single bit if she never stepped onto the stage. The recital means nothing to me. I wanted her to take dance because I knew she would love it, not so that she could put on a cute outfit and show off in front of everyone. I was nervous about it, though, because I knew she would be upset if she didn't do it. She is just like me in that way. She doesn't want to be in front of people and feels self-consious, but would regret it if she missed out. I spent my entire life worrying about what people would think, and I missed out on so much because of it. I don't want her to do that. I knew if she didn't dance that night, she would change her mind later and want to do it and it would be too late. So I really wanted to help make her comfortable with it.
When I went to the back, I asked her if she wanted to come watch the other girls dance for a while. Of course, she did. She loved it. She sat as still as possible, just taking it all in. When it was her turn again, she went right out there and did it! I was so proud of her! I cried, no, sobbed, the entire time!! I just knew what a big deal it was for her to be up there at all. It just came pouring out of me and I looked like an idiot, but I didn't care. The night of the recital, she did the same thing. Refused to dance to the first slow song, but then bounced around and danced her heart out for the second, more upbeat song. She was so proud of herself and I was even more proud! We went to the "chips & cheese" place to eat Mexican with the family afterwards and had a great time. The next day we went to a wedding for a sweet friend that we have known our whole lives. I served the groom's cake at the reception and had so much fun. We got to spend time with people we haven't seen in a while and catch up. It turned out to be a great weekend.

The following Monday was Addie's dance class party. I let Mr. Wonderful take her so that I could cook for the family. We took food over to his grandparents' house and spent time with them. The next day I had to go to the doctor for a check-up. I didn't really think anything about going, just wanted to get it over with. When the doctor came in, he informed me that "gals my age" tend to have problems with different things and that it was time to have some blood work done. Really?! "Gals my age?" Doesn't seem like a big deal, I know...unless you consider the fact that this was the day before my 30th birthday!!! So after getting my cholesterol, thyroid, hormone levels, and vitamin D checked, I headed home. I must admit that even though my birthday hadn't bothered me before, I was a bit bothered about the "gals my age" comment.

I woke up the next morning extremely early and went to the bathroom. I opened the blinds only to see "Happy 30th Birthday, Holley" signs in my yard and black balloons tied to my mailbox. Hooray. Mr. Wonderful left for work and I finally got myself and the girls ready. As I was gathering my purse and keys, I sent the girls to the door to wait. Addie came running back to me and said, "Mommy, somebody drawed all over your car!" My response? "No, they didn't." "Yes, they did!" She shouted. Wow. Thanks for the warning, Mr. Wonderful. My oldest sister, Amazing, had not only painted my car and put signs on my lawn, but she had put several signs in the neighborhood that I grabbed up and stuffed in my trunk on the way to work. I was running late and didn't get to drive the car through the car wash. I got to work to find that my mom had put balloons and signs all over the shop. Later that day, my middle sister, Awesome, had flowers delivered with the dreaded black balloons tied to them. And to think, I wasn't upset about turning 30. It hadn't really phased me at all. Who knew it was such a big deal?! I am very thankful that my sweet family chose to make such a big deal out of my birthday. But honestly, I really, really would have been okay with just a phone call :) 

Yesterday after I closed the shop, I ran out to do a little shopping for myself and Mr. Wonderful. We are always getting things for the girls and our closets are looking pretty rough, so I figured it was time for us to have a turn. After searching through 5 different stores, my question is this: Where does a 30 year old mother of two (on a budget) shop for work worthy clothing? Especially a mother who does not want to dress like a teenager or a grandmother. It seems like everything I looked at was made for stick people. Nothing for people with hips or.....do I dare say, thighs?! Eeeek!! I would have to starve myself for months to fit into those clothes. They are all made so awkward. The legs are too tight and the waist is too big. The shirts are all either cut way too low, are too short, or the sleeves are too short. What is wrong with the clothing industry? Don't they know that super tight pants and a too short shirt aren't even attractive on the mannequins? I suppose this makes my birthday even that much more of a big deal. I'm too old to be fashionable. I just don't get it. Didn't we all learn from the 80's and early 90's? Why must we repeat those terrible fashion mistakes? I settled for the only solid colored shirts I could find and the one pair of shorts without holes...they were actually long enough that they didn't look like underware. Mr. Wonderful, well he didn't even get that much because it was even harder (if that is possible) to find anything for him. Almost every t-shirt I picked up either had someone's face or a cartoon character on it. And the jeans? They are even more ill-fitting than the women's. Ugh, I used to think shopping was so much fun. I suppose that was before I had...........these dreaded thighs! Eeeeek!

We are headed to the lake this afternoon. My mother, Mrs. Incredible, is once again proving why I call her incredible.....she is working for me Saturday so I can go. I am so ready for this break. We took a quick trip there last weekend, but will get to stay a bit longer this time. The whole family will be there with us, also. I can't wait. The weather is supposed to be perfect. The girls love it there and so do Mr. Wonderful and I. If I were to ever move away from my family, it would be to move to the water! I love it! The warm sun, the cool water, the breeze...........I'd better stop before I get too relaxed.....I still have to run home and finish packing!!!

I hope you all have a wonderful and safe weekend!
Love and prayers for you all!!      

No comments:

Post a Comment